Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Waiting on Wedneday: Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger


Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine which spotlights eagerly anticipated upcoming releases!

I love steampunk and I absolutely adore Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series, so it should come as no surprise that I'm eager for her Finishing School series, which takes place 25 years before the Parasol Protectorate series (but is in the same universe).

Etiquette and Espionage Cover Title: Etiquette & Espionage
Series: Finishing School, Book 1
Author: Gail Carriger
Genre: YA Steampunk
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: February 5, 2013
Gail Carriger Reading Order

Book Description (from Goodreads):

It's one thing to learn to curtsy properly. It's quite another to learn to curtsy and throw a knife at the same time. Welcome to finishing school.

Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is the bane of her mother's existence. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper etiquette at tea--and god forbid anyone see her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminnick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. She enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

But little do Sophronia or her mother know that this is a school where ingenious young girls learn to finish, all right--but it's a different kind of finishing. Mademoiselle Geraldine's certainly trains young ladies in the finer arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but also in the other kinds of finishing: the fine arts of death, diversion, deceit, espionage, and the modern weaponries. Sophronia and her friends are going to have a rousing first year at school.

6 comments:

The Readdicts said...

This book seems really interesting and I love the title! So glad to know it's the first in the series, I'm surely gonna check this one out. :)

Here's my WoW.

I'm following you now!

-Sarika.

Unknown said...

Sophronia is a really weird name, but I'm loving this idea in a book. Nothing more interesting than tea-parties and badassery. New follower.
Here's my WoW

Unknown said...

Love the sound of this! Kind of like a historical Gallagher Girls!
My WOW

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Great title...and the premise sounds like fun. Thanks for sharing.

MY WOW POST




A Beautiful Madness said...

I haven't read anything by Gail Carriger, but this one sounds excellent. Great pick!
Em @ A Beautiful Madness
My WOW

mk said...

I already have the book on my to-read list and I would love to give it a try when it comes out. It sounds pretty interesting. Great pick! I hope you enjoy the book when it comes out.
Come check out my WOW post.