Monday, October 29, 2012

Teaser Tuesday: Dearly, Beloved by Lia Habel

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

- Grab your current read
- Open to a random page
- Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
- BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
- Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

I'm reading a couple of books at the moment, but one of the ones capturing my attention is Lia Habel's YA steampunk novel Dearly, Beloved (no small surprise since I adored its predecessor, Dearly, Departed). The teaser I picked is from the point of view of Laura, a very unusual zombie.

Teaser:
"Claudia always destroyed whatever I grew, and so now I kept my plants close to me, let them root themselves inside my very body. Mytrle at my wrists, ivy at my hips, roses at my waist, and soon, calendula on my shoulders.""
*Dearly, Beloved by Lia Habel, page 85.


Book Description:
Dearly Beloved CoverCan the living coexist with the living dead?

That’s the question that has New Victorian society fiercely divided ever since the mysterious plague known as “The Laz” hit the city of New London and turned thousands into walking corpses. But while some of these zombies are mindless monsters, hungry for human flesh, others can still think, speak, reason, and control their ravenous new appetites.

Just ask Nora Dearly, the young lady of means who was nearly kidnapped by a band of sinister zombies but valiantly rescued by a dashing young man . . . of the dead variety.

Nora and her savior, the young zombie soldier Bram Griswold, fell hopelessly in love. But others feel only fear and loathing for the reanimated dead. Now, as tensions grow between pro- and anti-zombie factions, battle lines are being drawn in the streets. And though Bram is no longer in the New Victorian army, he and his ex-commando zombie comrades are determined to help keep the peace. That means taking a dangerous stand between The Changed, a radical group of sentient zombies fighting for survival, and The Murder, a masked squad of urban guerrillas hellbent on destroying the living dead. But zombies aren’t the only ones in danger: Their living allies are also in The Murder’s crosshairs, and for one vengeful zealot, Nora Dearly is the number one target.

As paranoia, prejudice, and terrorist attacks threaten to plunge the city into full-scale war, Nora’s scientist father and his team continue their desperate race to unlock the secrets of “The Laz” and find a cure. But their efforts may be doomed when a mysterious zombie appears bearing an entirely new strain of the virus—and the nation of New Victoria braces for a new wave of the apocalypse.

13 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds like an original concept, though I really don't care for anything dealing with zombies. Thanks for visiting!

Unknown said...

Ok, super weird teaser but I'm but I'm kind of loving it! Steampunk + Zombies? NO way!! How awesome! This series is seriously going on my ever growing TBR list!

Thanks for stopping by Alli's World.
mrscaptkirk51.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

So, I guess she's into flowers, huh?
Great tease! I really have to start this series, I've been wanting to read it for a long time!
Thanks for stopping by My TT!
Happy Reading =D

Unknown said...

Is she transforming into some mix of plants?

CarolynBrown-Books

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Sounds fascinating...I love the images in that teaser.

Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

Megan Hand said...

I've been wanting to read this book for a while. After reading the teaser, I'm even more intrigued :)

Wordsmith Publicity said...

Oh wow! I'm guessing she is a witch or something?

Elizabeth said...

BEAUTIFUL BLOG...NEW FOLLOWER.

Nice teaser...thanks.

My teaser link is below.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2012/10/teaser-tuesday-10302012.html

Anonymous said...

An interesting teaser.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/10/teaser-tuesday_30.html

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Interesting and original premise for a book! Your teaser is definitely intriguing too.
Mine is from REMEMBER ME?

Lizzy said...

Great teaser! This sounds like a zombie book that won't scare the heck out of me.

Melanie said...

I love the idea of a new victorian society! This sounds like a cool kind of read.

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

What an interesting and captivating teaser!
Here's mine: I love Dan Brown